Monday, January 25, 2016



            Viva Nicaragua was my first exposure to international travel. In March 2015, I took my first step outside of US boarders where my heart was quickly captured. All my life I wanted to see the world but the opportunities never arose due to prior commitments. But once I took the leap of faith, I knew there was no turning back. My routine life quickly took a 360-degree turn to what seem to be a beautiful movie. I began living the life I always imaged. Everyday quickly became a new adventure, whether it was work or play, I tired to make each day great. I loved working with children, families and in the clinics. Stepping out of my comfort zone taught me so much about the culture and much more about myself. When the 11 days in Nicaragua ended, I knew was the beginning to a next chapter of my life and that I would be back!

            After being back in the United States for just a few days, I begin planning on how I could go back to Nicaragua. I decided that spending an extended amount time to develop relationships, settle on a career path and engage in a different culture was what I needed to do. I quickly began saving to make a trip back. Of course that came with sacrifice of a new dress or a night out but I knew the trip would have a greater impact on my future. I was accepted into the program to complete a public health internship for the fall. When September rolled around, I packed up my suitcase, grabbed my passport, not knowing that this adventure would completely change my life.  

                When I stepped off the plane in Nicaragua, a calm came over me and I knew this was the place I was meant to be. Yes, there were struggles from time to time but I loved the rollercoaster. I began my trip by working in a clinic just outside of Granada. I was able to experience a new side of the medical field. I was able to find an area of education what I knew I loved and needed to share my understanding with others. I began to look at policies and laws within the country to understand how we can discuss these polices with the youth of Nicaragua to begin to shape the future of the country. We began then to work to with youth to explain the laws in latten terms and found that some children’s lives are more troubled than expected. I finished my internship by creating a yoga workout for the children to compete in their homes or at school when times get hard.  Self-care became the focus for education. Saying goodbye wasn’t as hard knowing that I would be back! Nicaragua just won’t let me leave.

                After going home to a cold, rainy holiday with my family and friends, I was more than excited to come back to Nicaragua for a third time. This time is different because I took a leap of faith all by myself. I am still growing and learning about the culture, myself and the language of Spanish. I have found what I love doing in my life and as of this week, what I want to do with the rest of my life. My journey here is nowhere close to being complete here or around the world. I encourage you to skip the new purse and purchase a plane ticket.  Viva Nicaragua has changed my life and a hope it can change your life as well!  And trust me,  “Its better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.”

No comments: